Saturday, December 4, 2010

And So it Begins...

Ok, here I am, joining the 21st Century.  Thanks to the encouragement of a few students and friends, I’m going to give blogging a try. 

Let us begin…

Its generally accepted that for most social situations, its best to avoid two particular topics: religion and politics.  Unfortunately for me, those are the two of the main topics I find worth discussing.  I guess that’s why I don’t get invited to many parties these days.  While this may make me a poor dinner guest, it hopefully will make some interesting and possibly even educational reading. 

Of course, choosing these types of topics for discussion clearly risks offending any number of people.  Religion and politics both are kind of unique subjects that way.  We may acknowledge that we know nothing about molecular biology, and to know anything much about it takes years of specialized training, but every last one of us hold that our unexamined opinions concerning religion or politics is perfectly valid.  These are areas of knowledge in which we are expected to accept the opinions of a complete ignoramus as just as valid as someone who has dedicated their life to this type of study.

If a man says “I believe that computers work because inside of each there are little mice running on tread-mills,” we call that man a fool.  If a man says “I believe that the first human female was created from the rib of the first male,” or “I believe that Sarah Palin should be the next president,” we say we have to respect their opinion, even if we disagree.  These statements are suddenly not open to critique.  When beliefs built on weak foundations are challenged, even in merely hearing a counterpoint or just another (contradictory) point of view, people react badly.  Not only might we get offended, but we often dig our heels in, our existential insecurities making us hold on tighter to our sinking ships.  We stand stubbornly, claiming our right to believe as we like. 

Well, I concede that we all have a right to be fools, but I’d argue that few of us actually desire that.  Therefore, we need to look critically at our beliefs and philosophy, as well as its natural extension in the real world – politics.  So, I will brave the risk of offending my readers, and even my yoga students who may have wandered by.  Herein, I’ll be presenting my thoughts and ideas about these subjects, as well as gnawing on the ideas of others throughout history.  If I poke your sacred cow, and this causes offence, I must humbly beg your pardon.  Offense is never my intent, merely the side effect of my own grasping in the dark.  If anything herein bothers you, either discuss it (rationally and dispassionately) in the comments, or go your own way in peace.  You may console yourself with the fact that I’m probably wrong about everything anyway. 

As most if not all of you know, I’m a yoga teacher by profession, so we can expect that I’ll be writing a good bit on that and related topics.  Politics may come up occasionally, but my main focus is on philosophy and religion, although I may well significantly deviate from this to include book or movie reviews, and other less interesting things. 

The title?  Yes, it is a bit strange, I admit.  My sense of humor is odd, and not always in good taste.  “Slouching towards Bethlehem…” is a reference to “The Second Coming,” a poem by W.B. Yeats.  It’s short, so I’ll include it in its entirety.

“The Second Coming”

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in the sands of the desert.

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

No, I don’t think I’m the second coming.  I just like the poem, and using it speaks to my perverse sense of humor.  Still, for me it defines my real reasons for creating this blog.  This is about drawing some conclusions from a life-long exploration of mysticism and esoteric philosophy.  Its about setting down some of my ideas, bringing some order to the chaos of modern life, and giving form to my own emerging personal philosophy. 

Its hour come round at last, this rough beast of a philosophy is slouching, slowly dragging itself to Bethlehem (much like I drag my lazy ass from the bed to the shower each morning), to be born into the world of men.  To be given life, purpose, and maybe, just maybe, an audience. 

So gather yourselves, ye Gogs and Magogs, for a strange and hopefully entertaining picnic on the green fields of Armageddon.  I’ll bring the basket and blankets, you bring the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome, Dave! I look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the party! I'll bring the sarcasm if you bring the smart. =)

    Looking forward to following this, and both nodding in agreement and crossing swords in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note... the aforementioned poet's name is William Butler Yeats. Spelled Yeats. Pronounced Yates. How silly. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome guys. Thanks for the spelling correction Mark!

    ReplyDelete